Welcome to the proceedings of the 53rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. Over 660 papers published in this year’s proceedings demonstrate again the vitality of HICSS as a scientific venue where ideas meet and science speaks.
The collective wisdom exhibits a truly comprehensive and forward-looking set of research topics. Researchers will find in this 6,700-page-rich proceedings an invaluable resource for their research. If one conservatively assumes that a refereed paper would require a six-person-month effort, the 2020 HICSS proceedings is the result of 330 person-years of time invested by researchers worldwide.
For those who are able to attend the conference, they will also be able to interact face-to-face with 94 leaders in charge of 34 symposia, workshops and tutorials that deal with the trend-setting research pillars that HICSS is known for:
- Quantum Computing
- Blockchain in business
- Artificial Intelligence and its applications
- Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- IT in organizations
- IT and Healthcare
- IT and Society
- Information security and privacy
- Digital government
- Research Methodologies in practice
HICSS-53 also featured three keynote speakers that discuss some of the hottest topics of the year:
- Dr. Kohei Itoh, Professor at the Department of Applied Physics and founder of the IBM Q Hub, Keio University who will shed light on the applications of Quantum Computing in Financial and Chemical Engineering Sectors;
- Dr. Jevin West, Director of the Center for an Informed Public, University of Washington's iSchool, who will help us understand the spread of misinformation in our digital environments and suggest how to deal with it; and
- Mr. Ajit Pai, FCC Chairman, who will highlight his signature policy priority that aims to close the digital divide;
I would like to acknowledge the co-creation of HICSS-53 by HICSS community. The statistics are just staggering. HICSS-53 has benefited from the participation of:
- 1,890 authors of 665 research papers addressing a broad-ranging set of topics (47% acceptance rate);
- 2,255 reviewers;
- 384 Minitrack Chairs;
- 19 Track Chairs; and
- Dedicated staff at the Information Technology Department of the Shidler College of Business, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
Every member of HICSS O’hana has contributed to the growth of HICSS. The number of downloads from our last three proceedings distributed through ScholarSpace at the University of Hawaii library and AIS eLibrary are now over one million. Microsoft Academic is tracking over 4,000 conferences in all scientific fields from conference proceedings published on the web and ranks HICSS over the last 40 years as #45 as far as impact is concerned.
We are looking forward to continue working with the international community of researchers to advance the mission of HICSS – that is to provide a venue where ideas meet and science speaks.
Sincerely,Tung Bui, Conference Chair
Browse the contents of Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences 2020 (HICSS-53):
- Software Technology
- Organizational Systems and Technology
- Knowledge Innovation and Entrepreneurial Systems
- Internet and the Digital Economy
- Information Technology in Healthcare
- Electric Energy Systems
- Digital and Social Media
- Digital Government
- Decision Analytics and Service Science
- Collaboration Systems and Technologies